Macarons are a cinch to make (most of the time), look incredible with their bright beautiful hues, keep for a good number of days and taste beyond scrumptious. These sandwich cookies turn even the most sophisticated of adults into zealous little kids yearning for a crisp French macaron of their favorite filling.
Macarons are usually not difficult to make but sometimes these sandwich cookies could test the patience of even the most skilled dessert chefs. From spreading into odd shapes to forming dark stains to getting a hard texture, macarons are known for being temperamental.
But fret not, as we have an easy french macaron filling for you that you can whip up in minutes. And make your macarons look and taste store-window good!
Special Equipment Needed – Pastry bag with a 1/2 inch tip (or you could utilize a resealable plastic freezer bag by cutting off a corner and spooning batter into it).
Ingredients for your basic french macaron filling:
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Mash softened butter till it feels like thick cream.
2. Whisk egg yolks in a big bowl. Add sugar and mix again. Then add milk and whisk till sugar dissolves completely.
3. On very low heat, cook the egg mixture till it becomes thick like a pudding. Keep whisking constantly to prevent the mixture from curdling.
4. Transfer the mix back into the bowl and whisk till it cools down. Add vanilla and one-third of the butter and whisk.
5. Add more butter and keep whisking.
6. Finally add the last of the butter and whisk to form the filling.
Fill up the pastry bag and pipe onto your crispy macaron cookies and make yummy cookie sandwiches.
This is one of the easiest and most basic French macaron filling and you can add any flavor to change its color and texture.